Friday, August 19, 2011

Idaho Falls, ID (pre-Yellowstone)

On Wednesday, we drove up through Big Sky Country to Helena, MT for literally a 20 minute work audit. This is the capital of Montana and had more of a city feel to it than Butte. While JD performed his audit, I sat in the bank lobby and quickly squelched any thoughts I may have had of becoming a Montanan by reading a magazine listing some of the local stats. Average number of freeze free days in a year - 120. No thank you. Even if my hair was loving this 70 degree, no humidity August day. (P.S. Rigby has his own little town in Idaho)

Then, it was back to Idaho for a few days. Our hotel in Idaho Falls (which regularly appears on the list of the top American cities to live in) directly overlooked the Snake River. The Falls are completely man-made as a part of a hydroelectric power effort.

Directly across from our balcony was the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple, a temple of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

It must sit due east also as I tried to obtain an early morning view of the temple and directly burned my retinas.

For dinner the first night stay in IF, we enjoyed Jakers. I highly recommend them even if my meal reminded me slightly of a segment where Daniel Tosh talks about the midwest and jokes about "fried mayonnaise balls".  I'm not sure if Idaho considers itself to be midwestern but I should have asked for my 'nnaise and sauce on the side.


Unfortunately, I also left my workout attire hanging behind the door in the hotel bathroom this day when we left, so no more workouts for me! :)  Those were my favorite black running pants, but I'm sure Target will be there to help me out. *Edit: the clothes were shipped and beat us home!*

On day 4, I toured downtown Idaho Falls on foot. I stopped by this place to get JD his very own Snake River fishing t-shirt.

While snapping the picture of Jimmy's, something else caught my eye.
I'm not really sure of the gun laws in Idaho, but I stayed a few paces back.

Our best meal of the entire trip was at Snakebite. I spotted this little place while walking around town earlier in the day and it appeared to have a trendy atmosphere and a good looking menu. Upon arrival, the rushed service made us wonder if we were going to regret our decision. JD and I both ordered burgers, specifically the Grand Teton burger for me. Best.burger.ever. When in Idaho, go directly to the Snakebite (even if you have to overlook some below par customer service).

JD enjoying a hazelnut brew at Snakebite and representing the ATL
Stay tuned for actual Yellowstone posts on the way!

No comments: