Monday, May 23, 2011

They Say It's Your Birthday (Day 2)

Day 2 of JD's birthday celebration involved a meal inspired by Pioneer Woman. I've been wanting to try her Braised Beef Brisket for a while but needed a reason to buy all that beef. So, I finally had the reason but then finding that similar cut of meat in the appropriate size proved to be a challenge. I'm not sure if beef cuts are seasonal but I traversed to every grocery store within a 5 mile radius of the Big Chicken, so it seemed.
shameless plug
The first place I found it available (in it's totally organic form) was Harry's. Needless to say, that was not within my budget. Jump to the last place I look, Wal-Mart. Not typically my first choice for meats but I found exactly what I was looking for and then some (a couple of pounds are still in my freezer).

For my review of the brisket, I would not make this again using the same recipe. I followed the recipe exactly and the soy + canned beef consumme makes it a little too salty. Now, the salt lovers of the family really enjoyed it and munched on leftovers all week long, but the saltiness really overpowered the taste of the beef. The beef itself came out perfect as far as tenderness is concerned. Here is PW's end result and a link. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/brisket_baby/



For the sweet end to our meal, I made these cupcakes http://katesshortandsweets.blogspot.com/2011/02/vegan-valentine-cupcakes-red-velvet.html. They are from a vegan recipe, but I used all animal products and they turned out just as great. It was my first experience at making my own icing and it was really kinda fun. Now, if I could just master the icing application process. Everyone enjoyed and the rasberry flavor was nice for a different touch.



Because we are coffee lovers, my gift to JD was a Bodum Chambord french press coffeemaker. I little more work for a cup of joe, but so worth the flavor!

Bodum Chambord 34-Ounce 8-Cup French Press Coffee Maker
Bodum Chambord

JD's 1st birthday high chair with his new coffee grinder

birthday barista
Duncan's and Salamone's

Mann's

birthday love


No comments: